Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bingo!

Ok, so those of you who I am close to know that my family just experienced something that we never imagined. I won't go into any details, but let's just say we no longer have a mortgage payment. It has in many ways been a blessing and God has really opened my eyes to things I never really saw before.

With the Christmas season upon us, I am constantly thinking how we are going to manage this year? Then, I read Cheryl's blog, and BINGO! The Lord once again opens my eyes. It's not about how many gifts my kids have under the tree. It isn't about racking my brain to think of a gift for my Dad. Christmas is about Jesus...and what is He? Love...and Life. Sure, I've always kept Christ in Christmas. Heck, we don't even play Santa Claus. But was I REALLY celebrating the TRUE meaning of it all?

Watch the video that I "borrowed" from Cheryl's blog. I hope you'll examine yourself as I have and ask yourself if you are really celebrating the true meaning of Christmas. Also, please feel free to share with me some of the ways your family keeps Christ in Christmas.

2 comments:

Tiffani said...

WOW! That's perspective, huh??? And what about this SUPER cute blog layout???? It looks VERY custom made!! I lurve it!

Michele said...

Julie, I couldn't agree with you more. We are not ones to do a whole lot for our kids at Christmas. They certainly get enough, but we don't overfill them with "stuff." Lisa Whelchel has a great book out called "The ADVENTure of Christmas" and I use lots of her ideas. Here are some things we do that are pretty much traditions in our house.
- We bake a "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake EVERY year. We put candles on it and sing Happy Birthday to Jesus.
-Each one of my children fill up a shoe box for a child their age for Operation Christmas Child and we pray over our boxes.
-We make Christmas ornaments.
- We bake candies/goodies for our neighbors and friends.
-We go and pick out a tree and then come home and learn about how the tree became part of Christmas (Lisa Whelchel's book tells you this)
-We always read the Christmas story
-We also do this activity put out by Family Life called "What God Wants for Christmas"
-We try to do a random act of kindness for a family. Sometimes the kids are aware of this and sometimes not. It depends on how close we are to the family. Last year we did something for a family that only Jon, myself, and God knows about. We didn't let the kids know because we didn't want them blabbing about what we did, that way God got ALL the glory. I will tell you though it brought Jon and I such GREAT joy and will be a Christmas memory forever etched in my heart.

This year I am going to do an Advent Wreath also and I will probably have manger scenes in my kids' rooms. If you come across any good ideas, please let me know. It is SO important to me that my kids don't think Christmas is about them!